Sorry I have been away for so long – please don’t think I have abandoned my LEGO SDF-1! Things have been extremely busy and unfortunately I won’t have as much time to dedicate to this project going forward as did last month. I have been able to sneak in some time to build here and there; most importantly I have started building the second half of the ship. I’m still short of a lot of pieces, but I did receive a couple of my orders from Bricklink which allowed me to put some finishing touches (although far from complete) on the main center section. Below are a couple of snapshots of the progress to date:
Although the Main Guns may look almost complete, there is still a lot of work to be done. There are some areas I will have to take apart and rebuild.
As I described in my previous post, there are still major issues with the weight of the leg. I have to decide if glue is the only solution to make the LEGOs strong enough to support the weight horizontally. If glue is the only solution, I have to decide when is the right time to start gluing Sections together, I don’t want to glue Sections together too soon and have to go through the trouble of taking the pieces apart.
To prove my point about not wanting to glue too soon, I have already discovered that I need to rebuild a section of the leg to make it so it can support the ship after transformation. Recently I found a critical design flaw in one of the connection points I built for transformation and as is I don’t think it would be able to support the ship upright.
There is still a great deal of work to be done, I’ll have to attack the leg issues when I have a significant amount of free time to focus just on solving the leg’s issues. For now I am going to wait for my last Bricklink order to arrive.