SDF-1 Arms and the Start of Macross City

Yesterday I was able to construct the arms (not the carriers) of the SDF-1. Fortunately I had about 90% of the white pieces I needed. I plan on using a Technic brick assembly to connect the carriers to the ship and to hold the carriers horizontally after transformation. This assembly is a huge challenge because it has to handle a lot of weight post transformation; only testing will tell if my design theory will work. I foresee post transformation the arms and carriers will be another section of the ship that will require glue to provide extra strength to manage the weight and stress.

There is not really anything extremely complex about my arm design, just turntables to rotate the arms out and wedge plates to get the angle effect. The rest is just white bricks, tiles and plates. The photos below best show the functionality:

Note the arm above is still under construction.

My apologies that this is not the most up to date image of the arms. The image above is of Continue reading

Work In Progress: Second Half

Sorry I have been away for so long – please don’t think I have abandoned my LEGO SDF-1! Things have been extremely busy and unfortunately I won’t have as much time to dedicate to this project going forward as did last month. I have been able to sneak in some time to build here and there; most importantly I have started building the second half of the ship. I’m still short of a lot of pieces, but I did receive a couple of my orders from Bricklink which allowed me to put some finishing touches (although far from complete) on the main center section. Below are a couple of snapshots of the progress to date:

Starting the build of the left side. Part of me feels the blue section of the Main Guns may be too short, but I'll hold off on judging until I see the ship with the both Legs attached. Besides, the last thing I want to do at this point is reconstruct anything!

Although the Main Guns may look almost complete, there is still a lot of work to be done. There are some areas I will have to take apart and rebuild.

As I described in my previous post, there are still major issues with the weight of the leg. I have to decide if glue is the only solution to make the LEGOs strong enough to support the weight horizontally. If glue is the only solution, I have to decide when is the right time to start gluing Sections together, I don’t want to glue Sections together too soon and have to go through the trouble of taking the pieces apart.

To prove my point about not wanting to glue too soon, I have already discovered that I need to rebuild a section of the leg to make it so it can support the ship after transformation. Recently I found a critical design flaw in one of the connection points I built for transformation and as is I don’t think it would be able to support the ship upright.

There is still a great deal of work to be done, I’ll have to attack the leg issues when I have a significant amount of free time to focus just on solving the leg’s issues. For now I am going to wait for my last Bricklink order to arrive.

Good Job so far Sport!

Locating the Rotating Points

DYRL Transformation

For transformation into Attack Mode the middle section rotates 180 degrees, the tricky part is finding the appropriate point of rotation. I used some spare LEGO bricks as placeholders to help me locate the rotation point. The white main section is so pretty but I always knew I would have to break it apart and install a Technic brick on each side (I’ll also have to break it apart to add additional mechanisms for support too). Below is a photo of me lining up the location for the Technic brick:

The photo below is of a test to see what the SDF-1 would look like after transformation, I’m attempting to line the blue section up correctly.

The line art images that I have are not too much help because they are not really drawn to scale, especially after transformation. Because the artwork is untrustworthy, I had to use my own best judgment to decide how far out the white section should protrude after transformation.

This is the most detailed image I have of the SDF-1 in attack mode but the I use it the least because so many areas of the drawing is not to scale.

This week I’ll have less time to spend on this, I have to get back to real life! Also, progress is limited until I receive my new LEGO orders from Bricklink. Best case I hope to at least finish the leg by the weekend.