I have spent the past couple of days reconstructing much of the SDF-1 I thought I had completed. This is the prime reason to only build one side at a time! When I decided to build the white center section 10x across I wasn’t careful enough with considering the width of the other sections I was working on at the time. As it turned out the scale was way off, the other (blue) sections were way too thin making the center section look fat and way out of proportion. Since I wish for this to be largest most massive LEGO SDF-1 I have ever built I decided that instead of decreasing the size of the white middle section I should instead increase the width and length of the sections I had completed so far.
The reconstruction has forced me to rebuild 4 parts (I have rebuilt 3 so far – I still need to rebuild the white section of the Main Guns):
Since the building techniques were essentially the same the rebuild wasn’t too complex, just time consuming. The only major discovery is in cruiser mode my male/female assembly I designed to connect the Main Gun (Section 2 to Section 3) doesn’t work as well as I predicted. The Main Guns are really relatively ‘heavy’ and the axle and pin still doesn’t provide enough support, an external plate is still needed for extra support. Also, with the rebuild the Main Gun section is longer and wider too. I’ll have to revisit how to better connect the Main Gun to the ship later on, but at least now with the Main Guns being wider I have more real estate to work with at the point of connection.
I’m also using the male/female assembly for the arm joints (the white section protruding out), but for now what I have built for them is more so just a place holder. What you see now in regards to the white center section is another place holder (mostly). I only started building it to help me with the building of the legs, I need the section to help build to the correct proportions. I know I’ll have to tear it apart and rebuild it at least 2 or 3 times. I’ll need to find numerous connection points, decide what to with the inside, figure out how to build and connect the bridge section, etc. – all of which will require extensive trial and error. However, with this at least I’ll have the basic length, width and height confirmed and proportional.
I still need tons of new pieces, so I’ll be back on Bricklink soon. Tomorrow I want to get started on the SDF-1 Legs…I already know it will be a difficult beast. This project so far is far, far more challenging then I originally thought it would be. Hopefully I won’t have another reconstruction mistake like this one, it’s more fun building new sections then rebuilding old ones.