Once again I must apologize for being away for so long, but I have been working on the SDF-1! Unfortunately I just have not been taking photos as I should have been for this blog. I have been reworking/rebuilding a lot of SDF-1’s sections, trying to get it to look as much as possible like the real SDF-1. I have come a long way in the build since my last post, but I still have a long way to go.
Over the past few weeks I have been focused on the SDF-1’s look and details after transformation, I’m not sure if have ever posted a photo of my LEGO SDF-1 during its transformation so here you go:
SDF-1 Front (After Transformation)
SDF-1 Back (After Transformation)
As you can see it is still a work in progress, I don’t have the Arms, Bridge or Main Guns Continue reading
I haven’t posted the entire LEGO SDF-1 work in progress for quite some time, so above is a quick photo (please excuse the poor quality, all I had available was my iphone). I had to connect the Daedalus to the SDF-1 to test the connection joint and make sure it all fit properly. Continue reading
I finally started building the carriers, starting first with the Deadalus. I’ll admit I’ve been putting these off for a while for a number of reasons:
- Ship Color: what shade of gray should I use for the body? LEGOs come in a number of shades of gray – light gray, dark gray, bluish gray, etc. Pinpointing the correct shade and ensuring that that shade comes in a large variety of pieces is definitely an obstacle.
- Weight in Cruiser Mode: I expect the carriers to have some weight to them and this will make them hard to support, even in cruiser mode. I haven’t yet resolved how I will connect them to the ship and I know regardless of the connection each will require extra support. Continue reading
This weekend I finally took on building the SDF-1’s bridge and radar tower. I’ve attempted to build the bridge in the past but I never really put much energy or effort in to it, I would just slap a few pieces together and then get distracted with building larger more complex portions of the ship. This time was different; I set a goal to build the bridge no matter what. Starting the build I anticipated that I may not have all the pieces that I would need, but I decided if that was the case I could just use old or mismatch color pieces as place holders.
Unlike certain parts of the SDF-1, I had some pretty detailed artwork to help me out:
SDF-1 Bridge Exterior Line Art
One drawback to having this much detail is that you want to replicate it all in LEGO, but with the bridge/radar tower’s relatively very small size that would be impossible. Therefore Continue reading
Please forgive me for being away for so long! I FINALLY took some time this weekend to work on the SDF-1, albeit I only had time to work a very small section: the white tips of the Main Guns. This section has always bothered me; I never felt I got them completely right.
My first issue with this section is the gap in the slope, in the series of 2 x 3 slope bricks you can see one of the studs right at the transition point. This is only place on ship where a stud sticks out like this. I’m no LEGO purist but I do feel that this breaks some kind of unwritten rule. Either way, it has always bothered me and I wanted to use a technique to build this slope that would not result in exposed studs.
Exposed Studs on the left and the center section has 5 different angles.
Second you’ll notice when looking at the diagrams below that the front tips of the SDF-1 Continue reading
It is really, really, really hard to find time to spend finishing my LEGO SDF-1. Fortunately I am an entrepreneur and I love it, but unfortunately it leaves me very little free time, even on weekends! I took a break this Saturday and my wife was out of the house all day visiting friends leaving me alone with my favorite LEGO project. I didn’t get that much accomplished today, but still it was fun. Here is a snapshot of the bottom of the legs. I think I’m going to switch out the boosters though:
To give you an idea of the weight of the ship so far, just one hallow leg alone is 3 lbs. I don’t want to guess what the weight of the entire ship is now, but please know it is heavy! Because of the weight, I’m using six 1×1 plates (you can see on the far right) as pegs for the ship to stand on when either standing upright in crusier mode or after transformation. I would rather the 1×1 plates get scratched up over time on surfaces than the entire bottom of the legs. Continue reading