I decided to (re)build a larger Zentradi/Meltrandi (male/female) assembly to connect Sections 2 and 3. I shared in my ‘Reconstruction Blues’ post that I had to widen both sections to scale the ship correctly. Even before I did that the previous Zentradi/Meltrandi connection assembly I had built did not perform as greatly as I expected it to. In cruiser mode I still needed and external plate to hold the two sections together and when I vertically set Section 2 on top of Section 3 as it would be after transformation the connection wasn’t super tight and rigid.
The rebuild gave me an opportunity to try to build a better Zentradi/Meltrandi assembly. The male/female assembly concept is great but I felt I could execute it better. Before the rebuild the connection point was 3x, after the rebuild it was 4x giving me more real estate to work with. I built another test version of the assembly from spare pieces:
This new Zentradi/Meltrandi connection will be taller and wider. I think I will build the new version to also be longer so that it goes deeper into Section 3. The prior section also only used one pin and one axle to connect; the new assembly will double that to two pins and two axles. I’m hoping that this new Zentradi/Meltrandi assembly will provide more support and strength to the connection in both modes. I still wouldn’t be surprised though with the combined weight and length of Sections 1 and 2 that I would still need an external plate to connect Section 2 to Section 3. Even so, this new is assembly will still be two times better than the old version.
Note that this is my third time rebuilding all or a portion of Section 2. Again, this is the main reason I build only one half at a time!